Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tercera Parte (Sierra de la Espuma)

This is the third part of the story Sierra de la Espuma. To read the first and second parts please search in the archives on the right of this page. Thanks for reading! 

The night air was hot and oppressive; and trying to sleep under a blanket would only have intensified the misery brought on by the heat. I lay on my side praying for a cool breeze to suddenly appear from nothing; it was a hopeless wish. The sun had not yet begun to peek over the horizon, so I was unsure of the time. I did my best to sleep but merely drifted in and out of a state of unconsciousness. I could hear an occasional grunt reverberate from the darkness where the horses were tethered. They too seemed to be impatient with the pace at which the night crept along.


I had finally slipped into a restful state when I felt a sharp poke in my back. I rolled over slowly, knowing full well who my poker would be. The moon shone brightly over our campsite, and I could see the albino smiling at me as he indicated the time by pointing to his wrist. It was uncanny the way his internal clock worked. No matter the time of day or night the albino always seemed cognizant of the position of the earth, moon, and sun. He was also a great asset to have at night, thanks to his ability to see through the darkness.
The blacksmith was waiting for us, so we gathered our things quickly and led the horses into town. Sure enough the blacksmith was ready for our arrival and was preparing his shop for the work we had requested. The furnace was roaring with a bright orange flame and he used a large billow to increase the heat. We led our horses around back and into a holding pen. The blacksmith lifted the mask he wore over his face and smiled at us. Even with the mask covering his face he continued to smoke a cigar, and as he smiled he exhaled smoke through his teeth.
“You can leave the two horses right there. Did you get the burro you were looking for?” He asked.
“No, we haven’t had chance to return to the stables.” I responded.
“Go on over there and ask for Donaldo. He’ll be up. Get the burro and bring it back here and I’ll shoe him as well.”
“Thank you.” I said, as we exited the building.
From a distance we could see Donaldo sitting in a rocking chair on the porch. He was up and seemed very excited to see us this early in the morning. He was a wiry, old man who appeared to drink coffee by the bucket. His long thin beard was ratty and frizzled and on his head he wore a worn out, black hat.
“Good morning, gentleman.” He exclaimed while rising from his chair, “I’m Donaldo.”
We stopped just before the steps to the porch and introduced ourselves as the surveyors who were in town, but Donaldo seemed well aware of who we were. Through the open door I could see the young boy who had helped us the previous day, sleeping on a mattress against the wall.
“That’s my grandson; name’s Skip. Not much of a morning person” Donaldo said as he gestured to the sleeping boy. “What can I do for you?” 
“We were told by the blacksmith that you could provide us with a pack mule for our surveying expedition.”
“I see. Well, follow me around back and I’ll show you what I’ve got.”
The coral that held the donkeys and mules was a shocking display of old and feeble looking creatures obviously not fit for high adventure expeditions. I looked to the albino, whose jaw hung open in disbelief. He turned to me with an expression of frustration, but I guided his gaze toward the end of the coral where a large and very fit looking mule grazed in a dry patch of grass.
“How much for that one over there?” I asked Donlado as I pointed to the mule.
“Hmm…” he said as he scratched his bearded chin. “That one mule there is quite the prize. Strongest beast I’ve ever encountered; although, he doesn’t have much competition here at the ranch.” He laughed to himself as he raised his eyebrows and nodded to the other animals in the pen. “I suppose I could part with him for $30 or so.”
“We’ll do it.” I responded.  The albino reached into his pack and pulled out the money. He handed it to Donaldo, who began to make his way through the gate and to the end of the coral. The mule was very casual around Donaldo, and allowed him to slip a small rope around its neck and guide it back to the gate where we stood. The mule was tall at the shoulders and appeared very broad. His coat was a dark brown that shined in the rising sun. He didn’t hesitate or shudder when we approached him; instead he dipped his head to allow us to rub his brow and scratch his mane.
“The name of this one is, Holandés. It means, Dutch.” Donaldo explained, smiling with the smile that never seemed to fade. “He came to us as a colt. A group of Europeans came through town on their way to the West Coast. He was born during their trip and they felt he would slow them down, so they sold him and his mother, who has since passed, to us.”
“He’s perfect” I exclaimed.
 I was honestly taken with the confidence and stature that Dutch displayed. We thanked Donaldo multiple times for assisting us as we made our way back to the road. Dutch walked slowly beside us and looked as though he was just as anxious as us for our adventure to begin. As we neared the point where the stable’s yard met the road we heard a loud scream come from the building behind us. We turned quickly to see Donaldo wrestling Skip to the porch floor as Skip struggled desperately to escape.
“Holandés!” the young boy shouted. He fought viscously to rip his arms free of his grandfather.
Donaldo looked at us and shouted, “Go! Go! Go!” He waived us on with one hand as he sat on Skip’s back and pinned him to the floor.
I looked to the albino with regret in my eyes. He knew I wanted to take the mule back, but I knew that there was no way he was going to let that happen. He turned quickly and led Dutch to the road. I stood at the end of the yard helplessly looking from the porch to the road and back again. I felt unable to make a decision to move in either direction, but the insistence from Donaldo that I go mixed with the increasing distance between the albino, Dutch, and myself eventually prodded me to follow them down the road.
……         ……         ……
I felt genuinely sorry for the young boy, Skip. It seemed that he must have been very fond of Dutch, but the albino continued to remind me that we were on an important mission that required focus. In addition, Dutch was proving to be a very capable pack animal that was both intelligent and willing to work.  We often spent time with him exploring some of the rocky terrain on the outskirts of town.
Over the next week and a half we spent the mornings exploring the landscape east of town and practicing with the surveying equipment, and the afternoons studying maps and trying to stay out of the sun. In the evenings we would go into town and meet with some of the citizens that we had made acquaintance with. There was Abuelo who was in town quite often, the elderly lady from the restaurant whose name turned out to be Francis, Donaldo from the stables (although we didn’t see a lot of Skip), and of course I would stop by the trading post and see Ruby any chance I got. She was usually busy until late into the afternoon and then would hurry home before the sun set. If I caught her at slow times during the day she seemed to enjoy chatting with me. The albino discouraged our interactions and would spend most of his time with the horses outside of town.
There was one particular visit I made to Ruby’s when I was able to spend a significant amount of time with her. A large package had arrived at the trading post, and she asked me to help her get it back to her house. It was a wooden crate about four feet long and three feet wide. The package was heavy and though I inquired as to its contents Ruby didn’t want to open it until we reached her home.

She explained, “I’ll open it as soon as we get back to the house, but I don’t want my grandfather to see so we need to hurry.”
I grabbed one side of the crate and she grabbed the other. We made our way down a small, rocky trail that led from the back of the trading post and over a short hill. As we reached the summit of the hill I could see that the trail led down into a small grouping of houses. There were about eight small, adobe homes built with no apparent order, at the base of the hill. Ruby guided us to the home farthest from the hill and pushed the door open with the heel of her boots.
The home was very small and had few possessions. The door opened directly into the dining area that was an extension of a small kitchen. In the center of the room sat a wooden table that was worn with years of use. Ruby instructed me to place the package on the table as she closed the door behind us. The setting sun shone through the dusty windows.
“How do we open it?” I asked as we didn’t seem to have any tools worthy of the task.
Ruby raised her finger to me and said, “Wait one second.” She ran out the door and returned quickly with a large crowbar in her hands. She motioned for me to stand back and began prying the wooden package open. One by one the boards came off the top of the crate, but all I could see was the straw packaging used to protect the contents. Ruby pulled the straw from the package and I leaned in to peer inside. Sitting inside the crate I could see a leather saddle with a dark brown color that shined in the fading sun light.
“A saddle?” I asked.
“Yes, but see its no ordinary saddle.” She pointed to the sides of the saddle, and I could see that she was right. “It has all of these large pockets to hold supplies. It has a rifle holster on each side and a spot to tie on a bed roll.”
“It looks a lot like the saddle the albino and I have, but that’s the kind of saddle you buy to travel long distance. It’s good for an expedition or something like that.”
“Exactly” she said.
“Is it a gift for your grandfather?” I asked. “Is that why you didn’t want him to see it?”
“No” she said with the hint of a smile forming on her lips. “It’s for me. I’m going to use it when I go looking for my brother. I only have a few more supplies to gather and I’ll be able to go.”
“Whoa!” I shouted. “You’re doing what? Who would you go with?”
“Just me; my granddad would never let me go, even with someone else, so I have to go alone in secret.”
“No, no, no. Come on! You can’t do that! You know how dangerous it is!”
“That’s why I said I need a few more supplies. I saved up my salary from the trading post for this saddle, and I’m going to save up a little more to buy a Smith & Wesson .30-06. Then I’ll be ready to go.”
I grabbed her by both hands and looked directly into her eyes, “Ruby, promise me you won’t go out there by yourself. You have to promise me.”
“I can’t do that. I need to find my brother. I know he’s still alive out there, and I know I can find him.”
“You can’t find him. It’s too dangerous, and you’ll just end up getting yourself killed.” I looked to the floor and took a deep sigh. I thought for a second about what I needed to say then looked again at Ruby’s face. Her eyes were becoming moist, and they screamed desperation. “I know you think you have prepared well and you could find your brother, but you are greatly miscalculating the danger your putting yourself in. Promise me this; just promise me you’ll let me look for him first. If I don’t find him, I’ll help you organize a search party to look for him again, ok?”

Tears streamed down Ruby’s face. She leaned into me and we embraced. I held her close to me and felt her shake as she began to sob.


“Thank you” was all she said.

……         ……         ……


Needless to say, the albino was not pleased with the idea of searching for Ruby’s brother; neither was he pleased with my growing affection for Ruby. He scolded me for wasting so much time becoming attached to the small town and reminded me that the plan was to find the lost gold mine and get out of town before any trouble came up. We wanted to be conspicuous and quick about our work, and draw as little attention to ourselves as possible. The albino worried that a congregation would form when we left town, just to wish us well. Again he reminded me that a crowd of people was the last thing we wanted. I assured him that we wouldn’t be leaving to a crowd of people, but the only way I could truly appease him was to agree to leave early in the morning before the townsfolk awoke.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment